Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Beach Day Learning

 
Monday was suppose to be "back to the grind" for us after our 3-day weekend and trip to Palm Springs.  But, we found out Saturday that Daniel didn't have to work on Monday after all.  So, upon arriving home from piano lessons yesterday morning I was informed by my 5 year old that we were headed to the beach!  I guess the only "schooling" they were going to get was learning the word "spontaneous!"


Well, I suppose there was a little more schooling involved.  There was some physical education and some weather-related lessons when we suddenly experienced some crazy wind.  Oh, how I love life's lessons when they don't always come from books!


I did share with the girls one of the lessons I was learning, as well. It began on Sunday at church.  One of our assistant pastors was preaching and said something that I have been pondering ever since.  He said there is only one thing in the New Testament that God says he loves... intrigued?

 God loves a cheerful giver.  I know that verse well.  It is one the girls and I memorized this year, and we have a little song to go with it.  Want to hear it?  Oh wait...  Anyway, I can please God by giving cheerfully!

 Ok, so I know that.  I've known that.  And, to be honest, giving of my money has never been that difficult for me.  I can be a cheerful giver when it comes to monetary things; after all, I was raised with generous parents and I have always been very blessed.  But then pastor said something else.  Perhaps God wants you to give cheerfully in other areas.  Hmmm...

This is where it got a little tricky for me.  You see, I fast sweets on Mondays.  I do it for no other reason but to learn the discipline of fasting and praying, and training myself to give-up something that is difficult for me.  I absolutely hate it.  It is just one day; it shouldn't be that difficult.  I am embarrassed to say it is very difficult for me.  Again, I don't do it for health or weight-loss reasons.  In fact, I probably eat more sweets on Sundays just because I know Monday is coming.  I do it because I know God is asking me to and my attitude has always been one of dreading and hating Mondays!
 
 Finally it hit me.  I realized something.  If I was giving up sweets for the Lord, I needed to do it cheerfully.  I needed to be excited that I was actually going to please the Lord.  I could make the God of the entire Universe smile!  This realization changed my heart!

 It should have been an extra hard day for me to give-up sweets.  We stopped at my favorite sandwich spot that sells the most awesome Vietnamese coffee.  I probably haven't had a cup in a year!  I also had all my mother's day chocolate and goodies.  Oh, the temptations.

 To be honest, it was the easiest time I have ever had giving something up.  For goodness sake, it is only one day; it shouldn't be hard.  But, it always has been because of my attitude.  The moment I realized I was going to give it up for God and determined to be cheerful about it, it wasn't hardly a problem.  Wow. I couldn't stop thinking abot how amazing that was!

 I'm sure I'll struggle again.  But, when I do remind me of this post.  Until then, I am going to look forward to Mondays from now on; my opportunity to please my God!




Oh - and I'm quite certain this little boy's discovery of the sand made God smile, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment